Thursday, September 22, 2011

How do you get a website to detect a mobile phone and direct it to the .mobi version of a site?

I'm trying to make sure my website is compatible with cell phones. Is there a way for a site to detect a mobile phone and forward it to it's .mobi version?|||Perhaps code it with mobile devices in mind in the very first place?





HTML5, jQuery (with jQuery Mobile etc) - I've designed a site for my wife, and it shows up brilliantly on all the devices I've tried so far - iPhone, iPad, Chromium on Ubuntu desktop, Opera on Windows desktop, Safari on Windows desktop etc. It doesn't look that great on my Nokia 6120 Classic, but who has those these days anyway? :) (Except me :()





There days, I really don't think there's any need to have a mobile version of a website - just code it for mobile browsers as the base anyway. You might lose some IE users, but do you really want them as visitors / users? :)





My 2c.





Cheers


Brad|||Possibly the IP Address of the device?





Im pretty sure the addresses are different for Mobile Devices.|||in most cases, replacing 'WWW.' with 'M.' might work

No comments:

Post a Comment